Thursday, June 23, 2011

Blackberry Honey Wheat Scones


I've always been scared to make scones. Anything I have to roll and shape scares me but when I saw this recipe on Savory Sweet Life I just had to try them! I love her blog, she's real. She admits to making pancakes and bacon for dinner (raising hand here) and she always has recipes that work for "real" families. Try these and you won't be disappointed.

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 egg slightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen blackberries
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a food processor, add both flours, baking powder, brown sugar, and salt. Pulse the dry ingredients for a couple of seconds to mix everything. Add the butter. Pulse again until a coarse meal forms. Transfer everything to a large mixing bowl. Add the heavy cream, egg, honey, and vanilla extract and knead the dough inside the bowl until it comes together. Add the frozen blackberries and work the dough with your hands and fast as you can into a large ball. -The less you handle the blackberries, the less purple colored scones you’ll have. Frozen blackberries work great!
  2. On a floured surface, flatten the dough ball into a disk one inch thick. Cut the disk into eight equal pieces. Place the scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the scones for 15-18 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown. Transfer scones to a wire rack to cool.
My suggestions: I did not use a food processor. Just used my fingers and it worked great. I did add 2 cups of frozen blackberries and it might of been too much so next time I'll stick to the recommended 1 1/2 cups. I think a sprinkle of coarse sugar on top would be nice too. They do get soft, I think it's because of the wheat flour but a quick reheat in the oven and they are good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment