Breakfast Pita Pizza
This is my favorite breakfast! Super easy and you can change the toppings to make individual "pizza's" for each family member based on what they like. Change up the cheese for different flavors, our fave is Parmesan.
- 2 whole wheat pitas (I use locally made ones from Hala Cafe & Bakery - only 40 calories and none of the extra junk!)
- 1 cup + shredded cheese (Parmesan, Fontina, Swiss, Gruyere, mozzarella)
- Red pepper flakes (optional but gives great flavor)
- Pre-cooked bacon (1-2 slices per pita)
- Baby spinach
- 2 eggs
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh or powdered garlic
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Other options: tomatoes, basil, pesto, sliced avocado, ham, proscuitto, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 425° F. with rack in center of oven.
- Spray baking sheet lightly with oil. Place two pitas onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bacon. Throw some red pepper flakes over top if you want a little kick. Break egg in the middle.I put my bacon a little heavier on the edges to keep the egg from running over the pita.
- Bake in oven for 5-8 minutes then remove and arrange spinach around the outside, don't cover the egg. This is when I like to add a little fresh garlic and drizzle of olive oil on top of the spinach. Return to the oven and bake for another 3-5 minutes depending on how runny you like your egg. We like the whites to be firm and the yolk to be a little runny so I keep a close eye on it towards the end. If you want to make sure you get all the yolky goodness place the cooked pita on parchment paper before cutting and just serve that way.
- Once the pita is cooked to your liking garnish with some more grated Parmesan (or whatever cheese you like) and some freshly ground pepper.I also like to sprinkle a little kosher salt on top to bring out all the flavors especially if I'm using tomatoes.