The recipe calls it a cupcake but I'm calling it a muffin with cream cheese, I think it sounds better. It's packed full of carrots (a whole pound that I hand shredded!), plain fat free yogurt, some chopped walnuts and whole wheat flour. I say it's healthy enough to call a muffin. This little guy is moist and he makes a great snack!
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil (I used less oil and more yogurt)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 lb carrots, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. You'll need two bowls, one for dry ingredients and one for wet ingredients. In first bowl mix together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In the second bowl mix brown sugar and canola oil together for approx. 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each one. STIR in yogurt and carrots. Add to dry ingredients until just combined. At this point I added a 1/2 cup of walnuts to the mixture (optional), you could also chop them and add on top of the cream cheese frosting.
- Spoon batter into paper lined muffin tin (I use an ice cream scoop). Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. These don't rise too much so I filled them to the top of the paper liner. 20 min. was perfect.
- Let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4 oz. light cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar (I only used about 1/3 cup)
- Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar together until creamy. Spread on muffin!
Makes about 20-24 muffins. Approx. 220 calories per muffin.